Bahadur Shah ZafarMarg
New Delhi – 110002
F.No.1-6/2018(DEB-I) 12th August, 2018
Recognition of Distance Education Programmes
In view of recent news articles on ‘Recognition of Distance Education Programmes’ by the UGC / ‘Open courses of 35 universities ‘derecognised’ published in media/newspapers, it is clarified that process of recognition of Distance Education programmes of universities submitted applications for recognition for the year 2018-19 and onwards is still on,and so far no open course of applicant universities has been derecognised. As per UGC(ODL) Regulations, 2017, recognition or otherwise is programme specific; not university specific and the recognition process is a multi-step process.
The programmes complying to provisions of UGC(Open and Distance Learning) Regulations, 2017 and its amendments get recognitions in the first stage. For the programmes found deficient, HEIs can submit representations within 30 days along with documentary evidence for consideration for recognitions in the second stage. Thereafter, if the Programmes still remaining deficient, HEIs have an appeal option.
The recognition process implementation details are:
1. The recognition status uploaded on 9th August, 2018 on UGC website details programme wise recognition accorded to the HEIs.
2. The UGC letter detailing programme wise recognition status and programme wise deficiency(s) to Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs), as applicable, will be issued by August 16, 2018.
3. For the programmes found deficient as per the provisions of UGC(Open and Distance Learning) Regulations, 2017, HEIs will be provided an opportunity to make representation within 30 days from the date of the UGC letter.
4. The process as at Sr. no. 3 above implies that the deficient programmes have an opportunity to rectify deficiencies communicated and get recognition, if they comply to provisions of UGC(ODL) Regulations, 2017 and its amendments.
5. All representations received will be processed and decisions will be communicated, on priority.
6. For the programmes still having deficiencies at the end of process as mentioned above, HEIs will have an opportunity to make an appeal as per the provisions of the UGC(ODL) Regulations, 2017.
University Grants Commission