- Provide greater opportunities of access to Higher Education with equity to all the eligible persons and in particular to the vulnerable sections.
- Expand access by supporting existing institutions, establishing new institutions, supporting State Governments and Non-Government Organizations/civil society to supplement public efforts aimed at removing regional or other imbalances that exist at present.
- Initiate policies and programmes for strengthening research and innovations and encourage institutions - public or private to engage in stretching the frontiers of knowledge.
- Promote the quality of Higher Education by investing in infrastructure and faculty, promoting academic reforms, improving governance and institutional restructuring toward the inclusion of the hitherto deprived communities.
- Enhancement of Gross Enrolment Ratio by expanding access through all modes.
- Promoting the participation of these sections of the society whose GER is lower than the national average.
- To improve quality and to promote academic reforms
- Setting up of new educational institutions and also capacity expansion and improvement of the existing institutions.
- Use of Technology in Higher Education.
- Development of Vocational Education and Skill Development.
- Development of Indian Languages.
- International Collaboration in the field of education.